The basics

talk anything about anonymity and give us some ideas
Aera23

The basics

Post by Aera23 »

Aera23's tips on OPSEC
- Know that anything you say, even thru temporary messages, could be logged, so be careful (copy paste, external pinhole camera+mic, typed onto another machine, etc)
- Avoid breaking laws, angering people unneccessarily, etc. (angry hackers and legal forces can be powerful, and one mistake could cause trouble)
- Avoid saying something that could identify you. (Imagine you are trying to identify a target, and that target is you, how would you ensure you can't identify yourself with messages)

Remember, the technical details of best OPSEC are one thing, but in practice, what you say online could be a bigger risk.

For example, if I was looking for @Aera23, I know:
-The city he claims to go to (oops, shouldn't have stated it)
-That he studies for an IT course (not that big a deal)
-The gender of @Aera23 (ask it and it will be told)
-The times @Aera23 is online
-The personality of @Aera23
-And probably more
Search Aera23 on ahmia :) ("for who all")
skippy

Re: The basics

Post by skippy »

Great advice.

Without malicious intent, I do think it's fascinating to try to localize ppl by their spelling and use of colloquialisms. Also, it's funny how often ppl use the names of stores, locations, etc in their area. Taking notices of these things, as well as simple shit like acknowledging their local time zone, it doesn't take much to build a wee file on someone who should otherwise be totally anonymous.

But that's just my little thought on it. I'd actually like to hear anyone else's ideas on gathering intel through grammatical cues and such.